Massachusetts Nursing Schools
A geriatric nurse practitioner is a professional who provides primary and acute care services to elderly people. They work at various clinical settings which includes hospitals, home care agencies, nursing homes, senior citizen centers, clinics, etc. To become a geriatric nurse practitioner, candidates are required to have a graduate degree from a gerontological nurse practitioner program and a registered nurse preparation. The American Nurses Credentialing Center also offers certification to these professionals. These professionals are required to develop and implement treatment plans for chronic illnesses and they should also have the ability to provide support, education and counselling for families. Along with this, geriatric nurse practitioners should be able to understand the process of aging and the special needs of the elderly. These professionals are also expected to coordinate patient care, conduct physicals and evaluate their well-being. Geriatric nurse practitioners monitor acute as well as chronic illnesses such as dementia, arthritis, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.
National Estimates for Registered Nurses in Massachusetts
|Employment 1||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage 2||Employment per 1,000 jobs||Location quotient 9|
(1) Estimates for detailed occupations do not sum to the totals because the totals include occupations not shown separately. Estimates do not include self-employed workers.
(2) Annual wages have been calculated by multiplying the hourly mean wage by a “year-round, full-time” hours figure of 2,080 hours; for those occupations where there is not an hourly wage published, the annual wage has been directly calculated from the reported survey data.
(9) The location quotient is the ratio of the area concentration of occupational employment to the national average concentration. A location quotient greater than one indicates the occupation has a higher share of employment than average, and a location quotient less than one indicates the occupation is less prevalent in the area than average.
More Massachusetts Colleges
- Boston College
- Boston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis Inc
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- MGH Institute of Health Professions
- New England College of Optometry
- New England School of Acupuncture
- Northeastern University
- Simmons College
- University of Massachusetts Medical School Worcester
- University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth
- University of Massachusetts-Lowell