State Seal of Alabama
Officially called ”The Great Seal of The State of Alabama”, the seal was designed in 1817 by William Wyat Bibb – the Governor of Alabama Territory and subsequently the first Governor of the state.
The seal shows the rivers (which are the state’s most abundant resource) as well as the territorial map of Alabama with its neighboring states. The seal was made official in 1819 after Alabama became a state, but in 1868 it was replaced with a new seal that depicted an American bald eagle with a banner in its beak. The banner reads, ”Here We Rest”. The new seal remained in use until 1939 when at the request of Governor Frank M. Dixon, it was changed to the original map design.