State Seal of Connecticut
The Seal of Connecticut came from England in 1639 and was originally the seal of Saybrook Colony, which is now Old-Saybrook, Connecticut. In 1687 the seal got lost and therefore a new one was prepared in 1711 with a reduced number of grapevines and with the inclusion of the words ”Seal of the Connecticut Colony”.
The words were changed to ”Seal of the Republic of Connecticut” after the revolutionary war and have not changed since then. The Seal has Connecticut’s motto ”Qui transtulit sustinet” which translates into ”He who transplanted sustains.” It is written on a banner at the bottom. The three grapevines historically symbolized the colonies of Connecticut, Saybrook, and New Haven.